Friday, October 9, 2009

Chanel Iman and Jourdan Dunn
















I've finally read the latest Teen Vogue issue with Chanel Iman and Jourdan Dunn on the cover. I absolutely adored the pictures taken of them by Patrick Demarchelier which shows why they are two of the biggest models out there. The article was also really great showing how the modeling world is still a little discriminating. I didn't think it was still like this but apparently it is. Chanel stated in the article by Jane Keltner that "You're being told, 'So and so is only booking one black girl. It's either you or Jourdan....." I was so shocked that this could still be going on especially with all the other beautiful ethnic models that are out like Arlenis Sosa and Sessilee Lopez that I've seen in many runway shows but then I notice they are not in every runway show. You think with all that has happened this past year with us having an African American president and all that we wouldn't look at color in the fashion world but apparently some still do. Seriously who would say "So and so is only booking one black girl" ?! Really I thought when booking models for a runway show it just depended on who was good and who could rip the runway. More into the article you find out this is what made Jourdan and Chanel not as close as before. The girls noticed it was stupid what they were doing and came to a compromise. Jourdan said "We said 'Why are we fighting? It doesn't make any sense,'" Chanel agreed saying "The only way to improve the situation is to come together." and this is how this story got put together really. My favorite quote was by designer Alexander Wang who basically said what I thought. "For some designers, it's their 'thing' to make a statement with a black girl, but I just cast who I think is cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment